Here's what we know thus far about the future visitor experience anticipated for the new Academy Museum of Motion Pictures . This nearly 300,000-square-foot museum will become a significant cultural landmark attracting visitors from across Southern California and around the world.
Among the museum's offerings:
- Interactive family-friendly moviemaking labs, guided discussions and structured seminars on media literacy and industry-wide topics
- Screenings of works by established and emerging filmmakers
- Multidisciplinary presentations by artists, craftspeople and technologists illustrating the creative collaborations behind the movies
The museum design includes:
- More than 30,000 square feet of flexible exhibition galleries
- A 15,000-square-foot landscaped public piazza that will serve as a gathering space for visitors and connect the museum with the LACMA campus
- Special event spaces for groups of up to 1,000 people and a rooftop terrace with views of the Los Angeles basin and Hollywood hills
To date, the museum's capital campaign has raised more than half of its goal of $300 million for building construction and exhibition development. The campaign is chaired by Bob Iger and co-chaired by Annette Bening and Tom Hanks.
For more information and a detailed look at the vision for the future Academy Museum of Motion Pictures, please visit: http://www.oscars.org/academymuseum/ .